Wednesday, May 9, 2012

F You Colic

Yep. I said F you colic.  It just makes me a bundle of emotions, and none of them good.  I feel horrible for Ollie because he definitely has 'colic' and something is making him very unhappy.  We saw the pediatrician Monday and he said he was extremely gassy (which we knew) and put Ollie on Prevacid and said the dreaded words colic.  He said its peaks at 6 to 8 weeks and hopefully we will see a turn around starting around 10 weeks.  But of course, I think it's more.  I am worried and wondering if he has an allergy to cow's milk and maybe peanuts.  Of course I need to cut those out of my diet for 2+ weeks in order to tell which unfortunately is my diet.  I don't eat much else- so really I would need to put him on a hypoallergenic formula for a week to see, but I won't be able to keep up my milk supply for that long without nursing.  It already is struggling to stay afloat.  So if I try the formula and it doesn't work then he's stuck on formula.  I know that's fine but would rather breastfeed if there's no allergy.  I plan to give it a couple more weeks before I decide and see if the medicine starts to help and the new chiropractor we started seeing today that has been suggested by many who have used him with their own colicky babies and have seen improvement.  I am skeptical but hopeful.  And he is free of charge for babies which makes him a bit more believable.

This past week has been a lot of praying, tears, and loss of patience.  I feel bad for Lola and try to just communicate with her what's going on and why Ollie is so needy and taking away so much of "momma and lola" time.  She seems so sweet about it all.  I can't wait for her to benefit more from having a brother when he gets a little older.  She will love him even more.

You know how they say you should sleep when the baby is sleeping.  Well good night.  :)  Praying no colicky fits in the middle of the night...

No comments: