Thursday, October 23, 2008

People with Passion

My brother and I had a great conversation today that really sparked my thinking in "passion."

We discussed how important it is to have passion for what you do and who you are. If you are passionate about what you do, then you are creating a better and happier life for you and those around you along with creating a great sense of work ethics. Some people have fabulous work ethics, but hate what they do. What good is that to them? When you work a lot with no passion it does more harm than good, because you eventually get so tired of it due to the lack of passion. This will cause a stagnant life.

Nick has been able to see in his field (commercial real estate) men working in their later years and being extremely successful in worldly terms and in their own terms. They are still full of energy, life, and PASSION. They love what they do, they educate themselves on the latest information, and they work hard. This is especially important to men because they seem to build much more around their careers than a lot of women, although that seems to be changing more and more everyday.

I think people who know me well, know I am "old-school." I believe the woman should be home raising children, taking care of the house, and making sure she is doing the best to multiply her husband as a person and spouse. I know this idea isn't for everyone, but it's what I feel is best for me and my family.

It's funny because Clay works an awful lot and he doesn't complain and he is proud to be taking care of our family, yet he rarely tells me about work. I think it's because his true passion lies in his stories and ideas he thinks up. He is an amazing writer, fiction or non-fiction, but his fiction would amaze anyone. His stories are unique and entertaining. He and a buddy are working on some projects and when he tells me about those he never leaves out a detail and I feel I can literally see his brain working away trying to think of the next line or how the story would look on a camera. His passion for this seems to feel his body. Now I know if someone said to Clay, "We love your stories and we want to pay you for a full year to write a story." My husband would become an instant workaholic by choice and night and day be thinking of the next rhyme or picture or dialogue. His keyboard would have to be replaced monthly from all the writing. He would be watching a football game on Sunday and have to stop to jot something down. There would be a notepad always next to the bed after a brilliant dream. At dinner he would ask what I thought about this ending or story idea. His life would be filled with happiness and purpose that suits him. That energizes him.

I hope everyone is taking part in something that they have a passion for. Some things don't come easy and we have to go after what we love at full force and enjoy life through each moment trying to get there. But passion shouldn't be put off as something we will do only as a hobby or maybe when we retire, but something we can live out energetically.

2 comments:

House for Sale said...

I so agree with you about passion. I am so proud of you, Clay and Nick for sharing so many passions about so many things! God has gifted you three with so much! You all make life more fun for all of us!!!!

Natalie said...

Thaaannnkkkkssss mom!