Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Just call me Thrifty

So I found a really cool antique fixture at a garage sale by the lake house and just couldn’t pass up on it.  My cheap self wouldn’t dish out the $5 to pay for it and I told the lady she was selling this way too cheap because I had a hunch it was worth a good bit more.  It had old wiring which originally kept me from buying it, but it was milk glass and antique brass much like this one:

Large Vintage Hobnail Milk Glass Ceiling Lamp/Fixture

It was in perfect shape and luckily Laura told me as we pulled away that I would regret it, so I dug out 2.5o in change and went back.  The lady looked real excited I was coming back for it until I held out my hands and asked if she would consider less!  She was practically giving her nick nacks away for pennies and so I thought she would be easy to persuade… and I was right!  So they cheapest I have seen these go for is $100 and they just go up and up from there… can’t decide if I am going to sell it and hang it, but I have a feeling I will hang it.  :)

And my next fun find was this:

Do you know what this is?  I certainly didn’t have a clue (mine doesn’t look identical to this one thought- I will take pics later!)  Most people probably know, but it’s a gun rack.  Good ol’ East Texas.  Haha… but I bought it for a wrapping paper station.  It will hold 4 rolls and I can switch out the rolls depending on holidays or celebrations coming up and I plan on painting it white and adding crystal knobs or some funky ones.  I think it’s going to be really cute and the drawer will always make scissors and tape easy to find!  Can’t wait to complete this project!!

Okay got lots more to post and say, but that is it for now… check out Laura’s blog for the lake house details.  We had so much fun!!  Aubrey and Lola were too cute!

1 comment:

Ginni said...

I love the gun rack to wrapping station, that is such a good idea!! I can't wait to see the finished product!