Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Design on a Dime

Well- I have been trying hard to get my home in order so when Lola comes it doesn't feel cluttered or dirty. I did all my spring cleaning over the last month. All my closets and cabinets are cleaned out and have been reorganized. I am having a garage sale this Friday and Saturday and am selling a lot of clothes, decor items, and some electronics. Most of the rooms in the house are pretty cleaned and decorated enough where I can be content... EXCEPT the dinning room. It was holding all of the garage sale items, hadn't been painted yet, the furniture didn't fit the room... really just a mess. Well Friday night I guess you could say I was having one of those pregnancy hormonal nights while Clay was working. Lucky for him. I decided I would feel a lot better about life if I painted my dining room. I knew I had a gallon and a half of some paint that would work well for the room. I had all the supplies, so it wouldn't cost me a penny. SOOOO... Friday I pull out the paint and test it on the wall around the windows. It was pretty swell so I decided I would at least cut in around the windows, doors, baseboards, and ceilings and have Clay roll the room later. So after a couple of hours went by I had cut in. I thought it would only take an hour or so to roll the walls so I decided to do that too. I was pretty tired and a little crampy so I took a short break to grab some sweet tea from CFA. I came back and got busy painting... I decided it looked so good that the foyer needed to match so I went back and cut in the foyer then rolled it. I really liked it... well at 8:45 I thought I was close to being done and realized I had curtains I wasn't using, that would look good in the dinning room... BUT NO curtain rod. So I took a little cash out of my rat hole and ran to Ross... just in time before it closed... found a rod for $12 (pretty nice rod too) and got home to finish the paint. Around 11 p.m. I finished... I cleaned and moped and had it ready to show Clay by the time he got home at 12. The next day I put some finishing touches on it and I do feel better about life. I will post some pictures, but I don't have before pictures which really stinks... because it looked so bad... It is still pretty simple, but I like it. I am trying to talk my Maw-Maw in giving up a long skinny table she has so I can put it under the mirror. :) We will see if she gives in!



This is the picture of the mirror that I want a table to go under it... I told Maw-Maw I am praying the Lord convicts her for not handing over her table (she isn't really using it) since I am giving her, her first great grandchild and naming her after her! LOL- no conviction yet! I'm only teasing her!



This chair was outside and I decided it was a waste to put it outside. I washed it really good and put some pillows I had stored away on it! That lamp I have had in the garage for months now. And the picture on the wall is a garage sale buy and I have had it awhile too.



The chandelier I had bought at the Habitat placed and really liked it. Paw-Paw put it up when we moved in. I only paid a little bit for it. I think it's cool looking!



I like it when tables are set, even if you're not having a party that night- the room felt too empty without it. That's not expensive to do either, especially if you have a Ross near by. Their plates and place mats are really inexpensive.

I think more than feeling like the room is somewhat decorated now, I just feel like it's clean. I mopped it really good and paint always makes something feel so much cleaner!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed!
It is beautiful and you are so much like your beautiful mother!

~Laura~ said...

cute curtains!

Debbie said...

You are the "design on a dime" decorator. Great job!